Áñ÷éêÞ óåëßäá
  Contact us | Advertise your business | About..  
Historic Review

Tinos is the island of ''Megalohari'' (Virgin Mary), art and beauty. The island covers an area of 195 sq. km., with a population of 9.961 inhabitants, and around 50 settlements (villages). The name Tinos, was probably prehellenic, named after the first settler, and remained as such from the Phoenician word "ÔÁÍÍÏÔÇ" (=snake). The island was also called "OFIOUSA" for the number of snakes killed by Poseidon, who protected the island, "YDROUSA" for the abundancy of waters, "AEOLOS' ISLAND" for the strong northern winds which blow here.

Tinos through the centuries. First Pelasgians, then Ionians, Athenians, Macedonians, Ptolemians, Romans. Installation settlements dating back to the Neolithic Period and later to the Geometric and Archaic are found on the island. Some important chronologies are listed below:

480 B.C.
The Tenian trirem of Panaitios joined the Greek fleet shortly before the Battle of Slamis and informed them on Persian plans. The name Tinos was written on the dedicatory tripod at the Delphic Oracle.

Byzantine Period.
Tinos is part of "The Greek Issue" and suffers successive attacks from the Saracens.

Tinos falls under Vennetian occupation, initially as a domain of the Gyzis family (1207 1390) and then, until 1715, under the direct administration of St. Mark's Demokracy. The age-long presence of the Venetians had a determinative effect on the island's character formulation. Tinos became a refuge place for the victimized Greek people, as it provided stability and relative security. The island affected social composition by developping aberrational feudalism, as well as the cultural and religius situation (presence of catholic religion).

The Turks, occupy the island, after many unsuccessful efforts. However their presence was alsmost conventional. Tinos develops spectacularly by exploiting the favorable conditions. The island is self-adminstrated, prospers finacially, and develops transport trade and handicraft. It is also rises to become the largest centre of marble sculpture in Greece, and entire families heraditarily cultivate art and travel around the entire Greek area, Asia Minor and the Balkans.

A short passing of the Russians from the island, during Orlof's Revolution

1821, 31st March.
Pyrgos was the first village, among the Cyclades, which raised the Revolution flag on the outer side. The Town of Tinos followed at 20th April, while the people of Tinos greately contributed both in sea and land battles.

1823, 30th January.
The discovery of the miraculous icon of Virgin Mary, after the holly vision of St. Pelagia, appointed the island to become the largest contemporary shrine of Orthodoxy in our country.

1940, 15th August.
The Italians, wrecked the ship "Elli" in the port of Tinos, on the day of celebrating Virgin Mary of Tinos. It was the "Aggrieved Virgin Mary" who led the battle of Albania to victory. The Holly Foundation of the Evangelistria of Tinos, contributes financially to the war, by giving the whole of its offerings.

Tinos is a religious center and a place of great beauty for those who want to explore it.

An island greatly maintaing its traditional character, in both village architecture and every day life, with hospitable people, festivities and trational customs.

Traditional celebrations are organized in Vourniotissa (24th September), Agia Varvara at Smovolos (4th December), Tripotamos (on Christmas Day), Ktikados (Monday after Easter), Lakkotiani-Ysternia (St. Thomas Sunday), at Panagia in Vrysi (1st May), St. Paraskevi at Karampousa (26th July), at Kyra Xeni (23rd August).

Homeland of many distinguished contemporary artists, sculptors, painters (Halepas, Filipotis, Sohos, Vitalis, Fytalis, Lytras, Gaitis etc.), and many other anonymous worksmen who have left "signs" of their skills, on churches, houses and dove cotes.

A lanscape, with undefinable, transitions between shaddow and light, stone, verdurous ravines, rocks and hidden seashores.



Vincenzo Family Hotel Rooms and accomodation in Tinos island, Cyclades, Greece

© 2000 Pigeon.Gr - Webmaster
Permanent url: www.pigeon.gr